Well my birthday party was a great hit, wow! Forgot how much fun girls nights and red lipstick are!! Between the 15 of us we managed to polish off all the rosewater cocktails, plenty of vino and enough mini hamburgers to feed an army – I swear I never want to see or smell a mini hamburger pattie ever again. The food (if I may say so myself) was delicious, and do think it imperative that I share my mini hamburger patties recipe with you. I used an Italian meatball recipe, but just squashed the meatballs flatter to resemble patties, see below for the recipe:
– 180ml oilve oil
– 1 onion (finely chopped)
– 100g pine nuts (roughly chopped)
– 3 garlic cloves, crushed
– 40g parsley, roughly chopped
– 5g basil or rosemary, roughly chopped
– 50g fresh breadcrumbs
– 250g ricotta
– 25g grated parmesan
– grated zest of 1 large lemon
– 1 egg
– 500g minced beef or pork (I used a combination)
– Heat half the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and pine nuts until the onion is soft and the pine nuts are light golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes, then set aside to cool.
– Put the herbs, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, ricotta, parmesan and egg in a bowl, mix together and add the mince. Add the cooled onion and pine nuts, season with salt and pepper and mix briefly until all ingredients are combined. Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge overnight or for at least 30min.
– Heat the remaining olive oil, and fry the meatballs until golden brown on both sides (I grilled all of mine, as I tripled the recipe and didn’t have time to fry all of them, grilling worked fine). Repeat until all the mixture is cooked.
– I bought cocktail mini hamburger rolls from Woolies, they were great you just had to heat them up before.
– I then made a variety of toppings, caramalized onions, sliced camembert, tomato and basil and then guacamole.
Was all absolutely delish! This recipe can all be done with spaghetti and a napoletana sauce, for some great Italian meatballs!